Chalati kaa naam Jindagi!!!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Travel through General Compartment

It was my unplanned visit to my Native, Solapur, hence could not book the ticket in advance. I checked for tickets in the morning bug no trains were having any available seats- thanks to so many travelers of India and management by Indian Railways.
I was having less time hence instead of catching train @ Yashvantpur, I went to Yelhanka and my worst ever journey started. When the train came, I caught TC and asked if any seat is available. As usual he said the train is over-flowing and RAC and WL passengers are bugging him. So no scope for people like me who are traveling through general ticket. :( Then I started towards end of the train for general compartment and the train already started moving. Somehow, entered into the coach with the help of few people standing at the door.
General compartment in Indian Railway is like 'baapjaade ki property' few people were sleeping by covering entire birth. Few are standing and trying to get some place to seat. Few people smoking near restrooms. There was hardly any space to stand and all sellers - chaiwala, bhelwala roaming from one end to other end. I saw a guy slipping over a birth. I went and put my luggage and trying to sit there. He was trying to avoid me but after little bit of 'dadagiri' I could manage the seat. Then 2-3 men joined with me and got themselves adjusted on the birth. I successfully got the seat.
Slowly I started talking with the people around me. There was a group of 5-6 lads who were on the way to Gulbarge. They came 2 days back to Bangalore for sight seeing. I shared some of my food with them.
Once Gulbarga came, half the train was empty. A family with an old man entered in the train. It seems the old man was seriously ill and visiting some hospital in Solapur. I thought I can give them my seat so that the old man can sleep. I came out of general compartment and entered into sleeper compartment. I found most of the train was empty. I found one upper birth put my luggage there. I removed my mobile charger and connected to socket in the compartment to charge the mobile and slept for some time. Around 7:00 AM I woke up to see the train entering into Solapur station. I packed my luggage and ready to depart.
The overall experience was horrible as I could hardly sleep in that chaotic environment throughout the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home